“You’ll always know who Paul McDonald is, out of a million singers you’ll know him. That’s so rare. It’s such a gift.” – Jimmy Iovine
Huntsville, Alabama born and East Nashville native, Paul McDonald is a creative force that has been touring non-stop since the release of his debut solo album “Modern Hearts”. With over 200 shows & 4 US tours under his belt since last summer and performances at festivals like Nashville’s “Live On the Green” & the 2019 “Bonnaroo Music & Arts Festival”, & just recently off a national tour with the Grammy nominated trio Hanson & Delbert McClinton’s “Sandy Beaches Cruise”, he doesn’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon.
“Modern Hearts” is a testimony of self-destruction and salvation. Billboard describes it as “a beautiful journey of of artistic and personal growth”. An album bursting with anthemic hooks, majestically texted alt-rock, tinges of Southern soul, literate introspection, and profound redemption.
The 14-track body of work that represents a full-spectrum of emotions, from soulful and sorrowful tracks, to invigorating new-life anthems, to meditative mid-tempo numbers. Produced by Jordan Lehning (Rodney Crowell, Andrew Combs), McDonald enlisted an all star cast of musicians including Ian Fitchuk (Kacey Musgraves, Leon Bridges, Ruston Kelly), Todd Lombardo (Nial Horan, Lera Lynn) and Lincoln Parish (Cage the Elephant) to help shape his narrative. Each song, forged of equal parts of the singer/songwriter’s confessionalism & rock and roll irreverence, is brought to life by lifting arrangements and refined vocal delivery.
The troubadour has spent the past decade fronting bands: The Grand Magnolias, Hightide Blues, the Sweetheart Deal, & an americana duo with actress Nikki Reed. Paul’s broadly resonant musicality has garnered him millions of Spotify streams and international acclaim and coverage from the likes of Rolling Stone, Billboard, MTV, and enabled him to tour the world and share the stage with a diverse array of classic and current icons. Select performance highlights include sharing the stage with artists such as Stevie Wonder, John Mayer, Crosby, Stills, & Nash, The Revivalists, Zac Brown, Hanson, Father John Misty, Emmylou Harris, and appearing at festivals such as Bonnaroo, SXSW, Live On the Green, and Hangout Festival and performing on nationally televised shows like “Good Morning America”, “The Today Show”, “NBC’s Parenthood”, “American Idol”, and “The Tonight Show.”
LINK TO STREAM “MODERN HEARTS” ALBUM:
MODERN HEARTS PRESS:
• A beautiful journey of artistic and personal growth.” – BILLBOARD
• “The record embodies the pensive, soulful approach that has led McDonald to share the
stage with such artists as Stevie Wonder, Father John Misty and Emmylou Harris.” – RELIX
• He’s struck on a brand of Americana- R&B that’s somehow equal parts Khalid and Rod
Stewart. – NATIVE
• McDonald bravely bears his soul in a quest for love and understanding through a musical landscape that ranges from pleading to nearly joyous. With arrangements that cover the gamut from sparse sincerity to uplifting anthems. McDonald successfully pulls us into his
journey of raw questioning. – PARADE
• Modern Hearts is the full-bodied expression of McDonald’s diligence in the face of such adversity. All at once a refection on where he’s been and where he is now, McDonald’s
most compelling songwriting comes off this body of work. – POP MATTERS
• “It’s a Nashville album on a mushroom trip in the mountains of North Carolina, a Malibu
sunset, an East Nashville drinking session, an Alabama sunrise, sudden love, and a slow burn.” – TREMBLAY